Wednesday, December 12, 2012

GA Girl - Post Election Update

So in the words of one of my most southern gal friends "after the election I took to the bed"!  The headaches that come when considering four more years of over the top spending, handouts to those who refuse to work, and health care that is sub par at its best sent me running for my smelling salts!!

I haven't posted in awhile because I really wanted to take time off to think about what just happened.  There have been so many analyses about why Republicans lost the election and I really don't have anything terribly creative to add to the opinions of the "experts".  But, from the opinion of a Christ following, conservative, home school Mom, activist and woman, I do have a few things to say!

First, I want to say that if we are truly going to change the course of this country we must evaluate whom we are pledging our allegiance to.  I had to take a hard look at how quick I was to promote a candidate, yet not as quick to promote Christ.  I believe that to change the way people vote, we must change the condition of their hearts.  We must continue (or for some, begin) to spread the message that true freedom can only be found in Christ!

Next, the current administration was very successful in portraying the picture that the GOP had a "war against women".  I couldn't disagree more with that.  As a matter of fact, as a women, I feel that the current administration waged their own "war against women".  The policy on foreign oil has caused an extreme spike in gas prices.  Their over reach into agriculture and local farms has caused a rise in grocery cost.  Obamacare has increased insurance premiums and prescription drug costs.  Support of unions have caused many to lose jobs.  A combination of these facts has caused thousands of women across the US to have to go back to work, or take on second or third jobs just to make ends meet for their families.  That doesn't sound friendly to women to me!  I have grieved with many of my fellow Mom's that have had to put their children back into daycare so they could take a job.  This isn't helping women, this is hurting families. 

The real war on women has also taken place in the womb.  Unborn women have had even more obstacles to cross in order to simply be born.  Unborn women are discriminated against in Planned Parenthood facilities all over the country, as shown in Live Action films undercover stings, in at least five states - http://www.liveaction.org/.  Despite this very obvious war on women, our President continues to call for the protection of tax payer dollars for Planned Parenthood.  Not only does he want unborn women to be discriminated against with their death - he wants you and me to pay for it.  And, how about all the women who are physically and mentally maimed EVERY day in abortion facilities all over this country.  In the President's home city of Chicago, Tonya Reaves' lost her very life because of the protection of the administration's war on women.  http://www.lifenews.com/2012/09/11/autopsy-proves-planned-parenthood-killed-woman-in-botched-abortion/.

They have no room to even speak to me about a war on women until they are ready to take responsibility for the issues that have negatively impacted women all over this country.  

Finally, how tired are we of the old song "the GOP will take us backward".  I am tired of hearing that the GOP will take us back in time to where women are at home and the men go to work each day.  Well what in the world is wrong with that?  If someone chooses to be a stay at home mother, why should that be a problem to anyone?  Is it so bad to think that children come home to a parent waiting, a square meal on the table, and some quality family time???  I realize this isn't what everyone chooses and that is fine, but I honestly don't see a problem with how society functioned a few decades ago.  Not having to keep your children locked up or in the backyard, knowing your neighbors and actually being able to leave your front door unlocked.  Please, tell me, what is wrong with these things? 

I believe the fear wasn't in taking us backward, but more requiring each American to pull their weight.  I don't have a problem with going backward if it means people working to provide for their families, assuming they can even get a job.  I don't have a problem going backward to a time when people weren't dependent on the government to provide their health care, housing, and cell phones.  Honestly, I would love for my children to know those days.  I fear they won't ever live in an America where the words "personal responsibility" are used together.  These are the things that the GOP wants to change.  So, if that is going backward - then I will gladly take that label and will wear it proudly.

In the end, the GOP has a lot of work to do.  First and foremost, we need to make sure that we are always getting behind the most conservative Republican.  History has proven that "moderates" don't win on the national stage (i.e, Bob Dole, John McCain, Mitt Romney).  When the GOP abandons the conservative base, they don't vote, and when the conservative base doesn't vote, the GOP loses!  

The GOP also must focus on outreach to women and minorities without compromising conservative principles.  Can that be done?  I believe it can!!!  We need to focus on the issues that will unite all Americans and be open and willing to come to the table with tea party groups, pro-life groups, immigration group, etc.  It will take all of us to make the GOP successful in 2016!  Will you get on board??

 

No comments:

Post a Comment